John has been our community MP
John has lived in Hayes & Harlington for over 40 years. Married with three children, John has always served our community in his role as the MP, local GLC councillor, and founder and member of numerous local community organisations working to improve the quality of life for everyone living in Hayes & Harlington. Since being elected MP for Hayes & Harlington in 1997 he has gained a reputation for his hard work on behalf of local people, pioneering the role of a community MP, and for his honesty and integrity. He concentrates on working tirelessly within our community, supporting local residents to tackle the issues that are of concern to us all.
Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer
John was Jeremy Corbyn's campaign agent during his successful election campaign for the Labour Party leadership during the summer of 2015. Two days after it was announced that Jeremy won, John was appointed Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer in Jeremy's shadow cabinet team.
Reputation for hard work
John has gained a reputation as the hardest working Member of Parliament we have ever had. Everyone knows a family or a local group he has helped, a local problem he has resolved or a local improvement he has achieved. Even his political opponents have put on record their admiration for his tremendous commitment to our community.
A Local Man
In this election John is the only candidate who lives in the constituency. For over 40 years he has lived in our community and has worked hard for us as a GLC Councillor, MP and as a volunteer in numerous community groups. He is devoted to our area.
A Man of Integrity
When the Daily Telegraph exposed MPs for fiddling their expenses, John was one of the few MPs described by the newspaper as one of the "saints" for his honesty.
An Independent Voice
John is a strong and independent voice on our behalf in Parliament. John always speaks and votes on what is best for his constituents. He has never been afraid to stand up for our area no matter what the party line is. He has never let us down.
A Man of Principle.
What John stands for:
- A strong and independent voice
- John stands up for his community and for what he believes in
- John demands a decent pension for all pensioners, with an immediate increase in the basic pension, restoration of the link with earnings, extra resources for the over 80s and full pension rights for women
- John is committed to free care for the elderly, equal rights for people with disabilities, and greater support and recognition for carers
- With hundreds of local families on the waiting list, John is calling for a council housebuilding programme to give them a decent home
- John opposes privatisation of public services and calls for the return to public ownership of the railways
- Ten years ago, John was the first MP to demand controls on bankers' bonuses. He calls for public ownership and control of the banking system to take control of our casino economy
- John campaigns for a fair tax system in which wealthy individuals and big business pay their fair share, a clamp down on tax avoidance and evasion, a land value tax, a Tobin tax on speculators and the payment of a living wage
- John voted against student tuition fees and continues to campaign to abolish fees and restore grants
- John opposed the war in Iraq and calls for the UK to focus on conflict prevention and resolution
- John defends civil liberties, opposed ID cards, the snoopers' charter and supports trade union rights and our humanitarian duty to provide refuge and asylum
- John is a supporter of media reform to prevent the monopoly ownership and control of our media by rich individuals and corporations
- John campaigns for trade justice and debt relief for the developing world to tackle poverty and famine
- John is a committed environmentalist, leading the campaign against the third runway and is campaigning for policies to tackle the lethal levels of air pollution in our area and is opposed to fracking
- John is opposed to nuclear power and campaigns for the scrapping of Trident
- John is a keen supporter of animal rights and opposes cruel sports and hunting