John McDonnell supports Clive Efford MP's 'National Health Service (Amended Duties And Powers) 'Private Member's Bill" To:-
• stop the Privatisation of the NHS,
• restore the legal duty of the Secretary of State for Health to provide National Health Services,
• amend the Health and Social Care Act 2012 to remove the competition requirements,
• amend the ability to provide private health services,
• amend the provisions of the Health and Social Care Act 2012 relating to Monitor,
• repeal Section 75 Regulations.
John said “I support Clive’s bill but believe there is a better bill which has has been drafted by barrister Peter Roderick with the assistance of Prof Allyson Pollock, called the NHS Reinstatement Bill - Restoring the NHS in England as an accountable public service”
The Bill proposes to abolish competition and the purchaser-provider split, re-establish public bodies and public accountability, and restrict the role of commercial companies. It draws on some of the best examples of NHS administration over its history, retains some features of the reforms laid out in the Health and Social Care Act 2012, and would be implemented on a timescale determined by the secretary of state.